Getting Married in Australia
Although there are many aspects to a wedding, here are some of the legal requirements according to the Marriage Act-1961* for a couple wishing to marry in Australia;
- The ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ needs to be signed no earlier than 18 months and no closer than 1 calendar month before the ceremony takes place (under a limited number of special circumstances a 'shortening of time' approval can be sought from the Registrar's office)
- A couple must provide evidence of the date and place of birth, so I can advise on the forms of ID that can be used.
- If previously married, you must provide evidence of the dissolution or nullity of that marriage.
- You will require 2 witnesses to the marriage, both must be over 18 years of age.
* Full details will be provided to a couple during their face to face meeting with their Celebrant.
Each ceremony is designed to a couples requirements so you can choose to have a short and sweet 'Registry' style wedding ceremony or a full service.